Easy, relatively quick and healthy Lemon Quark Cake for Easter that is fresh and has a spring feel.
Though you might wonder what is this Quark? In short it is dairy product and type of fresh cheese, which looks like a very thick sour cream. Common in Nordic (though more in Sweden) and Baltic countries, but if you want to know more about it check out Wikipedia page on Quark. (So yeah, it will be healthy cheese cake with minimal sugar, that can be also enjoyed by kiddos).
Lemon Quark Easter Cake
- Yield: for 5-6 persons
Ingredients for cake shell
- 100 g of cold butter
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 150 g of all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp of cold water
- Preheat your oven to 200 C
- Add flour and sugar into bowl.
- Cube the butter and add it to flour mixture.
- Mix (pulse) it together and add water. (I used stand mixer with K- attachment). The Mixture should be like a most saw dust, but if it is too try add little water (1 teaspoon at the time).
- Also important don't over mix it !!!
- Gather it together into ball, cover it and place it into fridge for 30 min or so.
- Take it out from the fridge and roll it lightly out (5-6mm thickness).
- Take tart form (Ø 20,5) with loose bottom and prepare it with butter.
- Cover your cake form carefully with your rolled out dough and trim the edges. (Dough leftover could be saved in the freezer for future cakes or mini cakes).
- Place it into freezer for 15 min to prevent shrinkage.
- Pre-bake it for 15 min and then take out to add your filling
Ingredients for filling
- 3 eggs M/L
- 250 g of Quark
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 75 g of sugar
- 1-2 organic lemons (juice and peel)
- (Optional- raisins or other tried fruits sliced into small cubes)
- Beat the eggs with sugar.
- Fold in Quark, flour, shredded lemon peel and juice. (And add optionals :))
- Fill your pre-baked shell and return cake into oven for 30-45 minutes. (Note! You will most probably have some filling leftover that you could incorporate into pancake dough for next day).
- When cake is golden and set (there could be a minimal wobble) take it out and let it cool.
- You could decorate with whipped cream or some thinly sliced citruses or both.