This Saturday, I had a good opportunity to test out some vegan cake recipes as well as to try my hand on "kitchen math" to produce a single one person cake :). Here are the result and I am quite proud of it. After all, mini desserts are becoming trendy ;).
Recipe was adapted from Chloe Coscarelli "Chloe´s Vegan Desserts" book
- 44 g of flour
- 16 g of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 23 g of vegan margarine
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the food processor (use pulse function). Then pulse margarine into the mix. The end result you go after is crumbly dough.
- Press dough into Ø10 tart form and cool it down in the fridge (30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Take cooled tart form out of the fridge, poke little holes using fork into tart cases and place it into the oven.
- Bake the tart case till it is getting golden and then take it out.
- Note! This crust dough yields 1.5 Ø10 tart forms. That means this half of the tart casing don't have high edged, but could be still used to make tart or just be eaten as a cookie.
- 12 ml coconut cream
- 6 g of cornstarch
- 80 g of coconut milk
- 23 g of sugar (could use a coconut sugar as it would give a hint of caramel to the custard)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 half of vanilla pod seeds (can also add the pod itself to the milk, when you are warming it up, but remember to remove it before adding cornstarch to the mixture ;) )
- 2 tbsp of lemon zest
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Some fresh raspberries for topping
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and coconut cream.
- In a small pot whisk together coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla seeds (+ pod, if using) and heat it up till it is almost boiling. Reduce heat and whisk in cornstarch mixture. (Remember to whisk continuously as otherwise, you might end up with some lumps, which are not appetising either nice :D)
- Cook the mixture by continuously mixing till it resembles a thick pudding (5 min). Remove it from the heat and mix in lemon juice and zest.
- Note! Don't let the custard totally cool down before spreading it on the tart cases as it will set and will make it harder to spread.
And now it is time to assemble the cake :)
- For that spread the custard into tart case(s) and garnish with raspberries. Then let it cool down and refrigerate.